The buzz is in the air and the countdown to 2018 has begun—and it’s time to power through these next 60 days and get stuff done (no rhyme intentended lol). So every year, before I loose my inner social butterfly and embark on a marathon of holiday events, I buckle down, focus on my business and go into my planning cocoon in preparation for the upcoming year.
One of the most epic challenges of being a small business owner is knowing exactly what to do to keep your business relevant, productive and profitable each year. This is why I stop, evaluate every aspect of my life and business and then ask myself, what feels fresh?
In my many years of being a business owner and coaching thousands of clients to their greatest levels of success, I have discovered a universal truth crossing all industries and all levels of success.
Here it is: What got you here is not going to get you where you want to go.
That’s why it’s so important to stop and take time to make sure everything is fresh in your life and business. As I’ve mentioned before, Ariana and I are in a great place with our business now –but it wasn’t always that way. We got to where we are today through a lot of tweaking of our business and freshening things up as we went along.
Scheduling a “refreshening” each year has really changed the game for us and I know that it will do the same for you. That’s why I decided to do this post. I truly believe this will clear the air and show you exactly what to do to keep you and your business shining. To help you get started, the following is my
Now grab your journal and write at the top of the page: What feels fresh? Let’s begin…1. Does your website feel fresh to you? Is it clean and modern? Is it easy to navigate when visitors stop by to learn more about your company or shop? Do all of the links work? Get a friend, preferrably someone unfamiliar with the site, to go through your site and make sure it is visually attractive and user friendly.
2. Take a look at your social media. Does it feel fresh? Do you like what you see? Take a look at the images and words that you post. What story does your timeline tell? Does your online image portray the personal and professional brand you want to present?
3. Do your photos feel fresh? Review all the images of yourself on every platform. Look over them from your website to your marketing literature to your social media posts –even your Christmas cards—Do your pictures overall feel fresh? Maybe it’s time to schedule a photo shoot and give your brand a fresh new look.
4. Your Personal Image- do you love your hair, nails and the way you dress? Do you love your handbag and accessories? Does your personal style feel fresh to you? Does it suit you, your lifestyle and standard of excellence? As a business woman, does your personal image compliment your brand? It may be time to take your closet through a refreshing and get rid of everything that doesn’t make you feel amazing to make room for more.
5. Your workspace – Does it feel fresh? Do you need a work studio to do videos in, take pictures or record/create products or do a podcast in? As a bossbabe you should always have a beautiful space that you can retreat to so you can generate brilliant ideas and work passionately on your business.
6. Does your bedroom feel fresh? You spend lots of time in there, winding down and dreams are made there–so does it feel fresh to you? Do you have great sheets? Is your mattress comfortable so that you sleep well? Is your comforter luxe enough for you? Is your resting space clean and cluttered? What’s on your nightstand? Is the environment in which you rest speaking prosperity and wealth to you? Is it fresh?
7. Do YOU feel fresh? A little aromatherapy can give you an instant lift. I often use 100% organic essential oils to boost my mood and the atmosphere in which I live and work. I love adding grapefruit oil or lemon oil to the difusser in my workspace during the day to keep my focus clear and my thinking sharp. Think of all the simply ways you can refresh yourself and make a big difference in your performance.
- Do you need to refresh yourself by getting in motion with a new exercise routine like walking, yoga, or zumba? Do need to refresh and reset your body with a new eating plan for the new year? Do you need to eat a fresh healthy breakfast then cut down on the carbs during the day?
- Are you drinking enough water for your body to naturally refresh itself? Adding more water to your diet can promote good health and decrease your downtime by helping to get rid of headaches, mood swings and more.
- Do you need more fresh air? Do you need to take a break during your workday and get outside for a moment to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.
How do YOU feel? Do YOU feel fresh? If not, what can you do to feel better? Do what it takes to feel better. How you feel has a lot to do with how you produce.
8. Do your products and offers feel fresh? Take a look at all your offers. Do you feel fresh presenting them? Are they current, relevant, do your clients need them? Do your products and offers look good? Are you pleased with the packaging?
- Review the effectiveness of your offers. What’s truly profitable? What is overwhelming you but not yielding results? What needs to be eliminated? What needs to be added?
- What do you hate to do? What seems overhelming all the time? How can you refresh this experience?
- What do you love to do? What is your favorite business practice that you would do every day if you could? How can you add doing more of what you love to your day?
9. Your day-to-day activities– do they feel fresh? Where can you freshen up your daily routine? What does a typical day for you consist of? Take a close look at how you use your hours. Where can you streamline your routine? What can you do to make your day run more smoothly? Doing little things like organizing your cupboard or countertops can do wonders?
For me my morning routine was falling short right at my bathroom counter. I adore beauty products and makeup and my counter was packed with them. Recently, I relentlessly cleared the clutter from my countertop casting away any products I wasn’t using. I got additional drawers and organizers for the products I use daily and gave away a huge pile of goodies to my team. Doing this and bringing order to my bathroom countertops literally shaved off 15 min off my morning routine. What can you do to improve the flow of your day?
10. Your crew, do they make you feel fresh? Who you hang around determines where you go in life. You tend to take on the thinking, income level and circumstances of those you surround yourself with. When hanging with your inner circle do you have fresh purposeful conversations. Do you leave the presence of your crew inspired and ready to achieve more? What can you do to freshen up your friendships?
11. What are you releasing in your business right now that has a fresh look or approach to it? Be sure that when you release your next new product, service, song, movie, book, clothing collection, webinar- coaching program— (whew!) whatever it may be, ask yourself is it fresh? Does it have a fresh new sound, approach or even delivery? Push yourself to be creative and innovative when servicing your customers and clients in the marketplace.
12. Your tech tools – do they feel fresh? Your phone, computer, or tablet, do they feel fresh? I just met with my team yesterday to determine what tools we needed to freshen up in the office. Do we need new cameras, printers, software etc.? At home I’ve been adding more tech tools to keep my household flowing more seamlessly. I love my Google home to listen to music while I wind down in the evening. Every morning and night I enjoy using my Samsung nook to help me listen to books while I’m completing my daily routine. What are your favorite tools to make doing business a bit easier? Is it time for a refresh?
13. The way you sell, does it feel fresh? Is it getting results? Is the client’s experience fresh? Is it causing you to increase? As a small business owner it’s incredibly easy to get so caught up in the day to day logistics and to-do’s of running your business that you forget to stop and take a look at the big picture. So stop for a moment and ask- is the way you’re selling bringing in the kind of income you want? What can you do to freshen up your sales approach?
14. Your productivity tools-calendar, journals, planners etc. Do they feel fresh? Do they get you to think fresh thoughts? Fresh thoughts produce greater results. This week I loaded up on calendars, index cards, beautiful papers, grabbed a fresh new Journal and productivity planner and I’m ready to tackle planning season with my team. Do you need to gather more tools so you can take a fresh new approach to planning for the new year?
15. Your self-help program – Is it fresh? What are you reading? What classes are you taking? Do you have a coach yet? What are you listening to? Is it fresh? Will it move you forward and make you more money? What’s your freshen up plan for learning and sharpening your skills?